One area of the body that is quick to gain fat but very slow to lose it is the face. The sugar from a cup of ice cream or bowl of rice you ate is stocked away in your cheeks but rarely ever used. So how exactly can you get rid of that stubborn face fat?
Well, it can be done. There are many techniques that can help you lose face fat, but doing facial exercises is not one of them.
Studies after studies have shown that spot reduction- that is, losing fat from only one area of your body- doesn’t work. This is especially true for face fat.
So, what does help? As it turns out, changing your diet is crucial for burning fat. To slim your face, you must maximize the excess fat that you eliminate from your body. A diet that is designed to do exactly this is the keto diet. So follow along to find out how you can get those high cheekbones you’ve always wanted!
Why you may have chubby cheeks
Understanding the reasons why you may have chubby cheeks can help you decide what changes you should make to get rid of the fat. The following are the most common reasons for them:
1. Too much refined sugar: Refined carbs are in everything we eat, from chips to pasta. They are devoid of any nutrients that can benefit our body and are simply ‘empty’ carbs. Since the body doesn’t use up all of the carbs it consumes, it stores some of them away in the form of fat under your skin. Your cheeks become bigger as a result as the face is a common area for fat storage. Besides, carbohydrates also increase water retention, making your face bloat.
2. Insufficient sleep: One of the many risks of not getting enough sleep is weight gain. Not getting enough sleep may make you hungry more often, leading to a higher calorie intake. It can also cause excessive water retention, which tends to give your face a bloated look.
3. Too much salt in your: Excess salt (sodium) is another dietary factor that increases facial bloating.
4. Genetic disposition: You may be genetically inclined to store more fat in your cheeks than other people. This means that you’ll probably see the impact of a high-carb food on your face before other parts of your body.
Keto diet for losing face fat
The keto diet is one of the best ways to rapidly lose weight. It tackles two of the factors discussed above (except sleep and genetics) and more to help you lose fat in your face as well as other areas.
The keto diet involves severely restricting the amount of carbohydrates you consume and replacing them with fats and proteins. This is done to force your body to enter ketosis: the state in which your blood has low sugar (glucose) levels so your body starts breaking down fat and proteins for energy.
Typically, this is the composition of nutrients in keto:
1. Carbohydrates: 5-10%
2. Proteins: 10-20%
3. Fats: 70-85%
There are many reasons why following this strict diet plan helps you lose weight, especially in the face:
● You burn more calories by converting fats and proteins into energy than you do by converting carbohydrates, as they are much harder to break down.
● Fats and proteins reduce feelings of hunger, controlling your food intake.
● Eating more proteins helps you build muscle. This increases your resting metabolism, making you burn more calories even when you’re sedentary.
● You lose a lot of water weight by cutting down carbs and salt. This reduces facial bloating. To reduce it even further, you can increase your intake of potassium. Foods such as avocados, spinach and broccoli are great sources of potassium as well as protein.
Fibre also slims your face by reducing water retention. There are many foods rich in fibre that don’t violate the rules of the keto diet. These include berries, nuts and some non-starchy vegetables like celery and spinach.
● The keto diet has been shown to reduce inflammation of the skin. This reduces swelling in your face, giving it a thinner look.
Remember that the keto diet just generally helps you to lose weight. Although facial fat isn’t the first to be burned off for most people, by staying patient and consistent with the diet, you may notice your face slimming down over time.
You can also add cardio to your daily routine. Cardio, especially HIIT (high-intensity interval training), is a great tool to get rid of face fat. Following the keto diet along with doing exercise every day allows you to maintain a caloric deficit- the key to shedding off weight.
Things to avoid
There are some things that you may be unknowingly doing that are sabotaging your progress. Make sure that you avoid the following things to have the best chance at getting rid of face fat:
1. Avoid drinking alcohol: Drinking alcohol increases water retention in your body, causing facial bloating. It also contributes calories and makes you hungrier than usual.
2. Stay hydrated: This is important in general, but even more so if you’re following keto. The keto diet has a well-known reputation for making you dehydrated, so make sure that you build a habit of drinking at least one glass of water at various times of the day.
3. Consult a professional: Ensure that you’re fully prepared for going keto before you start the diet. Consult a doctor who knows your health history, as keto is not recommended for those who are at risk for some diseases (like heart disease).
Following the keto diet is a particularly effective way of losing weight. Over time, it can allow you to burn even the most stubborn kinds of fat- like cheek fat.
You should combine this with exercise and some other lifestyle changes to see the best results. These changes include cutting down on alcohol and drinking more water than usual as keto makes you dehydrated.
Most importantly, choose a diet that you’re comfortable with and one that doesn’t risk your health in any way. Stay safe and healthy!